If you want to cash in on the real estate related tax perks of buying this year, you need to be sure you've got these five documents on hand.
1. Mortgage Interest Statement IRS Form 1098 The meatiest real estate tax deduction on the books today allows you to deduct 100 percent of the mortgage interest you paid during the tax year. To get this deduction, keep an eye on your mail for Form 1098 from your mortgage lender. This reports how much of that interest you paid.
2. Uniform Settlement Statement (HUD-1) If you purchased recently, right after closing you should have received your HUD-1 Settlement Statement. The date on this form is invaluable during tax time. It details prepaid interest, prorated property taxes, and other potentially deductible fees.
3. Moving Expense Receipts Moving expenses are tax deductible if you move is closely related to the start of a new job. The rule of thumb: if you moved more than 50 miles to be closer to your new workplace, you could be eligible. Consult your tax pro for details on this credit and be sure to bring your moving receipts.
4. Receipts from energy efficient home appliances & improvements. Under the Non-business Energy Tax Credit, homeowners who make qualifying energy efficient upgrades can claim tax credits. If you've recently installed energy efficient improvements such as insulation, new windows, or other energy savers, you may be able to deduct 10% of their cost.
5. Mortgage Credit Certificate (MCC) Homeowners who've purchased in the last few years using a Mortgage Credit Certificate may be entitled to a pretty hefty tax credit. MCCs apply as long as you live in the home and pay a mortgage on it. But, they only apply to defray taxes you actually owe- you can't use them to get a refund. If you have one, the MCC is a must-have as you start your tax prep.
More Tax- Saving Documents: 1. Property Tax Statements 2. Home Office Receipts 3. Rental Income/Expense Statements 4. Unreimbursed Work Expense Receipts
My focus is to best understand the goals and visions of my clients, ensuring
all decisions are made with a wealth of information and the necessary tools for
a successful, rewarding experience.
I have found my Slice of Heaven I look
forward to you finding yours! KathyDecker@exitkingrealtygroup.com Have Questions? Call Me 941-544-7270
One sentence says it all: "Working from sign up till sign down...." We provide the best possible service to our clients with respect to buying or selling real estate, marketing, advertising, follow-up and negotiating the sale or purchase of your dream home.
"She went above and beyond to help us find a home in Venice Florida. She made herself available any time we asked to see a home whatever time of the day. She is an excellent asset to the Exit Realty Team. We would definitely use her services again. Heidi & John Tramburg"